American Grassfed Association is a national organization of grassfed producers and supporters offering certification, market support, education, research, and policy action.
AGA offers the FIRST and ONLY national grassfed certification program developed by grassfed ranchers, animal scientists, veterinarians, range specialists, and others who understand grazing and grass feeding because that’s all they do. For producer members who meet our standards, the certification program allows them to use the AGA logo on labels and other marketing materials to show consumers they’re “the real deal.” When consumers see the AGA label, they know the product they’re buying is:
• Healthy for animals. They eat what nature intended, live their lives in a natural environment, and express their natural behaviors.
• Healthy for people. True grassfed meats are leaner and have a higher percentage of vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats – CLA, Omega 3, and other essential fatty acids – than meat from grain-fed animals.
• Healthy for the planet. Grazing animals on pasture keeps the air and water clean, provides wildlife habitat, and builds soil, which removes excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
• Healthy for communities. Supporting America’s family farms and ranches creates jobs and builds strong rural economies.
AGA’s certification standards are based on four criteria:
• Feed – Ruminant animals (cattle, sheep, goats, and bison) are fed according to a strict grass and forage protocol that ensures their good health.
• Confinement – Animals spend their entire lives on pasture and are never confined to feedlots.
• No antibiotics and hormones – EVER.
• American born and raised – All animals are completely traceable and live their entire lives on American family farms.
In addition to the certification program, AGA offers education through conferences, ranch days, publications, and other outreach efforts to bridge the gap between producers, chefs, and consumers. AGA also works directly with legislators and the USDA to affect farm policy that supports grassfed producers and American family farms, and forms alliances with other organizations in the good food and sustainable agriculture movement to give a voice to grassfed producers.
Membership is open to grassfed producers, chefs, educators, distributors, processors, consumers, and anyone who is interested in supporting the grassfed movement. Complete details about membership and standards are available on the AGA web site.